Strength & Conditioning
Whether your goal is to improve performance, lose weight, gain muscle mass, or learn the basics about exercising and living a healthy lifestyle, our Strength & Conditioning program has something to offer everyone! From the beginning exerciser to those with a high level of experience, we’ve got the equipment, staff, and knowledge to help you reach your goals!
If you have any questions about the Strength & Conditioning area, please contact:
- Jerod Wilson
Director of Strength & Conditioning
- Zach Ganger
Assistant Director, Strength & Conditioning
Strength & Conditioning Room
Our Strength & Conditioning Room is now more than 32,000 square feet in size and houses some of the best, most innovative equipment on the market. If you are looking for a fun, upbeat atmosphere with plenty of staff that are here to help you, this is the place to be!
- More than 10,000 square feet of free weight space outfitted with 26 custom Power Lift Racks, 9 inlaid platforms, 115 pairs of dumbbells, kettle bells, leg presses, combo pulleys, and a full line of Hammer Strength plate loaded equipment.
- Almost 100 pieces of cardio equipment from Technogym, Woodway, and FreeMotion including treadmills, incline trainers, skillmills, ellipticals, climbers/stepmills, spin bikes, upright bikes, recumbent bikes and other unique pieces of equipment. Most pieces of cardio equipment have technologically advanced consoles that include TV, internet, and additional app capabilities.
- Large turf “movement area” with equipment such as sleds, kettle bells, medicine balls, stability balls, battle ropes, plyo boxes, foam rollers, and more!
- Large HD TVs throughout the room with most pieces of cardio equipment having their own personal viewing screens.
- Dedicated Personal and Small Group Training Suite with both traditional and specialized equipment for exclusive and unique workout experiences for our personal and small group training clients.
We also have areas on the second and third floors of the Student Recreation Center where additional cardio equipment such as ellipticals, rowers, arc trainers, recumbent bikes, spin bikes, and a functional trainer can be found.
Members of our Strength & Conditioning staff are always present and willing to assist you. So, if you have any questions or need some guidance, just ask!
Personal Training Suite
Inside the recently renovated and expanded Strength & Conditioning Room is the new Personal Training Suite, fully dedicated to our personal training program and clientele.Personal training clients will no longer face waiting in line for access to equipment or struggling to find space to complete their workouts efficiently and effectively. With our new Personal Training Suite, clients will have access to an exclusive, exciting training environment with some of the best equipment in the industry, including Technogym Kinesis, TRX suspension units, customized rack systems, Power Block dumbbells, Skillmills, InclineTrainers, kettle bells, medicine balls and more! In addition, personal training clients will still have full access to our entire Strength & Conditioning Room and equipment during sessions with their trainers and when they come in to use the facility on their own.
- An appropriate towel is required for each patron to enter the Strength & Conditioning Room. No sharing. Articles of clothing, etc. cannot be substituted for a towel. Patrons are required to bring a dry towel to wipe down strength training equipment, pads/upholstery, and cardiovascular machines after use.
- Closed toe athletic shoes are required to workout in the Strength & Conditioning Room. Sperry type shoes, Vans (slip on), loafers, slip-ons, slides, sandals, boots or other hard-soled shoes are not allowed. Shoes must be worn at ALL times.
- Appropriate athletic attire must be worn to workout in the Strength & Conditioning Room: i.e no jeans, khakis, or cargo type shorts/pants may be worn. Shorts and pants cannot have metal buttons or rivets on them due to the potential damage to the equipment they may cause.
- No backpacks, gym bags, purses, helmets, rackets, skateboards, long boards, etc. are allowed in the Strength & Conditioning Room. Free day lockers are located outside the room and in various other locations around the Student Recreation Center for your convenience.
- Only beverages that are in plastic, re-sealable containers are allowed.
- Persons under 14 years of age may not enter or use the Strength & Conditioning Room or any other strength or cardio equipment located throughout the Student Recreation Center. A parent or guardian must accompany dependents from the ages of 14 to 17 and must always be in very close proximity to them while they are in the Strength &Conditioning Room and/or utilizing any strength or cardio equipment within the Student Recreation Center.
- Patrons should use extreme caution when lifting weights to avoid potential injury to themselves or others.
- Spotters are strongly recommended for all weight lifting exercises.
- Dumbbells, weight plates, and other equipment cannot be dropped to the floor. Strength & Conditioning staff members have the right to determine what is considered “dropping”.
- All free weight equipment must be kept in the free weight area. All dumbbells must be kept in the dumbbell (grey tile) area. Rec Sports personal trainers do have the right to utilize dumbbells outside of the designated dumbbell area with their clients.
- Ground-based Olympic style lifting (i.e. power clean, snatch, and derivatives) and deadlift can only be done on the designated platform.
- Weights and bars of any kind cannot be leaned against the wall, pillars, equipment, or mirrors.
- Collars must be used on all bars when loaded with weight plates regardless of the total weight amount loaded onto the bar.
- Weight belts that may damage equipment upholstery must be removed or covered appropriately.
- To avoid congestion and waiting lines, patrons should allow others to “work in” between sets while using strength training equipment.
- All equipment must be returned to its proper location after use. All weight plates, dumbbells, handles, etc. must be re-racked in their appropriate location by patrons after they complete the exercise they are performing.
- Cardiovascular equipment is to be used by one individual for a maximum of 30 minutes. Some machines can be reserved at the Strength & Conditioning Area Desk; however, individuals may only sign themselves up on this list.
- Profanity, excessively loud or suggestive language will not be tolerated.
- No audible or amplified music through personal devices is allowed in weight and fitness room.
- Only Department of Recreational Sports personal trainers are allowed to train clients in the Student Recreation Center. Individuals, who are not Rec Sports personal trainers, who are found to be personal training in any of the Department of Recreational Sports’ facilities will be banned from utilizing our facilities for a period of time to be determined based on the severity of the infraction.
- All equipment must remain in the Strength & Conditioning Area. Only Rec Sports personal trainers and members of the Strength & Conditioning staff can take specific equipment outside of the Strength & Conditioning Area for use.
- Strength & Conditioning staff members have the authority to request that any patron who violates any of our facility policies, including but not limited to, those documented above, leave the facility if the staff member deems it is necessary. This may also result in flagging of the patron’s account and consequently the patron being banned from utilizing our facilities for a period of time to be determined based on the severity of the infraction.
- Please direct all concerns and maintenance needs to a member of the Strength & Conditioning staff.
Let our nationally-certified personal trainers develop a comprehensive exercise program specifically for you. They can assess your fitness goals, develop a workout plan for you, teach you how to properly perform resistance training and cardiovascular conditioning exercises, and keep you motivated! From the novice to the experienced exerciser or athlete, our trainers have the knowledge and skill to work with you to help you achieve your personal fitness goals.
Benefits of Working with a Personal Trainer
- One-on-one individualized attention
- Increased effectiveness of your workouts
- Reduce body fat
- Increase muscle mass
- Improve muscular endurance, strength, and power
- Increase cardiovascular fitness levels
- Enhance flexibility
- Improve core stability and strength
- Enhance balance
- Increase speed, agility, and quickness
- Improved sports performance
Integrated Fitness Assessment
Performed by one of our nationally certified personal trainers, our integrated fitness assessment will help you and your trainer gather baseline data, and help provide a basis for developing goals and effective exercise programs. Gathering and evaluating the various pieces of information will give the personal trainer a broader perspective of the client. The process and the data collected assist the trainer in identifying potential areas of concern and reasonable starting points for recommending modalities of exercise, along with intensities and volumes of exercise based on goals and fitness outcomes.
Our integrated fitness assessment evaluates the following areas of physical fitness: body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardiovascular capacity, flexibility, stability, and dynamic mobility.
There are many valid reasons for administering assessments to you as the personal training client. The data collected provides:
- Identification of current strengths and weaknesses that may affect program design and emphasis on specific training components
- Identification of areas of potential injury, or contraindications prior to program initiation
- A baseline for future comparisons of improvement or rate of progress
- Assistance in establishing appropriate intensities and volumes of exercise
- Assistance in clarification of short, intermediate, and long-term goals
The integrated fitness assessment is included at no charge with the purchase of a 10 or 15 session personal training package. The assessment can also be added to a 3 or 5 session personal training package for $20, or purchased separately for $30.
Body Composition Assessment
Many people rely on measuring weight alone to determine their ideal body weight. However, weight alone can be very misleading because a scale cannot tell the difference between a pound of fat and a pound of muscle.
Body composition, however, refers to the quality or make-up of total body mass, which can be divided into fat-free mass and fat mass. Excess body fat has been associated with a number of health risks including heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, and sleep disorders. It is also associated with reduced performance and an increased risk of injury. One of our nationally certified personal trainers can accurately measure your body composition to help you learn the make-up of your weight and in turn enable sensible decision-making regarding diet and exercise programs. Whether your goal is to lose fat, gain muscle mass, improve athletic performance, or maintain a healthy balance, knowing your body composition can be essential in helping you achieve your goals.
Body composition assessment is included in the Integrated Fitness Assessment or can be purchased separately for $10.
You must be a Student Recreation Center member or purchase a guest pass prior to each session taking place in order to register for personal training services.
Ask a Personal Trainer
Be watching for our Ask A Personal Trainer (AAPT) series of videos that will air at a later date, our social media outlets, and this website. Submit your questions to our personal trainers via Twitter or email us at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about our Personal Training program, please contact:
- Stephen Opskar
Personal & Small Group Training Coordinator
- Body Composition Assessment: $10
- Integrated Fitness Assessment (purchased separately): $30
- Integrated Fitness Assessment (added to a 3 or 5 session personal training package): $20
(1 trainer & 1 client)
- 3 Sessions: $90
- 5 Sessions: $140
- 10 Sessions (includes 2 integrated fitness assessments): $245
- 15 Sessions (includes 2 integrated fitness assessments): $345
(1 trainer with a max of 2 clients)
- 3 Sessions: $145
- 5 Sessions: $210
- 10 Sessions (includes 2 fitness assessments): $370
- 15 Sessions (includes 2 fitness assessments): $490
To register for personal training services you must visit the Member Services Desk located in the lobby area of the Student Recreation Center. There you can look through each of our nationally certified personal trainer’s profiles which include their weekly availability, certification organization and self-description.
At the time of registration you will be required to complete and submit the following:
- Personal Training Assumption of Risk, Contract/Agreement and Registration Form
- Welcome to Rec Sports Personal Training Packet
- PAR-Q & You
- Health History Form
- Exercise History and Attitude Questionnaire
- Physician’s Approval Form*
*If on the Assumption of Risk, Contract/Agreement, and Registration Form you indicate that more than one of the American College of Sports Medicine coronary artery disease risk factors pertain to you, your physician must complete the Physician’s Approval form prior to beginning your personal training sessions.
If you will be registering for a Body Composition Assessment, or Integrated Fitness Assessment you will be required to complete and submit the following:
Due to the popularity of this service, there are times when participants are required to put their names on a waiting list. Our Staff works to ensure that this list remains as short as possible, adding new trainers to accommodate our expanding clientele.
- All clients must complete the following forms prior to starting their training sessions:
- PAR-Q & You,
- Health/Medical Questionnaire,
- Exercise History and Attitude Questionnaire, and
- Physician’s Approval form (when applicable).
- In the instance that neither of your top two personal trainers that you request on the registration form are available, another trainer will be assigned to work with you during your personal training sessions.
- Personal training sessions that are not rescheduled or cancelled 24 hours in advance will result in forfeiture of the session.
- If the client arrives more than 15 minutes late for the scheduled appointment, forfeiture of the session will result and the personal trainer has the right to leave the premises.
- Sessions are one hour in length, and the hour begins at the scheduled meeting time.
- It is recommended that all program participants work with their personal trainer at least 2-3 times per week. However, due to scheduling conflicts and financial considerations, a combination of supervised and unsupervised workouts is possible.
- All personal training sessions must be held in the Student Recreation Center.
- The expiration policy requires completion of all personal training sessions within the number of weeks equivalent to the number of sessions purchased. Personal training sessions are void after this time period.
- Refunds will be given if submitted within five business days of purchase with receipt only.
Exception: No refunds will be issued once the first session with your trainer has been scheduled.
Small Group Training
Do you enjoy exercising in a group environment but still need some extra guidance and motivation? If so, our small group training program may be perfect for you! With our new Personal and Small Group Training Suite, small group training clients will have access to an exclusive, exciting, environment with some of the best equipment in the industry. Take advantage of our FREE “try before you buy” weeks that occur just before each Small Group Training Session begins.
Summer 2019 Offerings:
Come join us in working off those burgers and staying swimsuit-ready for this summer! Sprint, squat, lift, and crunch your way to your best shape yet! Combining elements of lifting, interval training, body weight training, and more, you will love how you feel after a great workout and will walk away with some additional advice to build muscle, lose fat, or accomplish your unique goals.
FREE WEEK: May 28 – 30
Come try Summer Shred for free!
Session 1: June 4 – 27
T/TH | 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Session 2: July 9 – Aug. 1
T/TH | 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Cost: $80/session or *$150 for both sessions
*$150 combined registration fee for both sessions must be paid in full at time of registration for session 1.
Space is limited, so register early!
If you are interested in learning more, or have any questions, contact:
- Stephen Opskar
Personal & Small Group Training Coordinator
Become a Certified Personal Trainer
Personal Training Certification Prep Course
Please check back at a later date for future course offerings.
If you are serious about becoming certified and potentially working for Rec Sports, or have questions about our Personal Training Prep Course, please contact:
- Stephen Opskar
Personal & Small Group Training Coordinator