Accessibility Features for Patrons with Disabilities
The Department of Recreational Sports is diligent in its efforts to make every part of a facility available to the community, including people with disabilities. If you have specific questions or may require additional accommodations, please contact Member Services at 979-845-7826 to discuss your potential needs.
The following accessibility features are available in Rec Sports facilities:
- The entire Climbing Wall area is wheelchair accessible.
- The Climbing Wall is equipped with protective equipment and a special haul apparatus that assists in ascent and descent for people with mobility limitations.
- For more information and to discuss potential needs for using the Climbing Wall, please contact 979-845-4511.
- Click here for more information about Outdoor Adventures.
Most equipment in the strength and conditioning areas can be used by patrons with disabilities. In particular, the following equipment is specifically designed to be ADA compliant:
- Several pieces of FreeMotion equipment, along with two Life Fitness dual adjustment pulley systems, allow an individual using a wheelchair or in a seated position to perform a wide variety of resistance training exercises.
- The SciFit upper body ergometer is an upper body hand cycle with multiple programs and heart rate monitoring.
- While dumbbells are not considered an ADA compliant exercise device, it is well documented that experienced strength trainers with disabilities can perform a multitude of strength training exercises with this equipment.
Please remember that the Strength & Conditioning Area staff are there to assist all patrons. Just ask any staff member for assistance, or if you are interested in the services of a personal trainer, please visit the Member Services desk in the lobby of the Rec Center.
- Outdoor Pool: Ramp access for users with mobility limitations
- Instructional Pool: Ramp access for users with mobility limitations and warm water for therapy
- Dive Pool: Chair lift for individuals that cannot exit or enter the pool using a ladder
- 50-Meter Pool: Chair lift available for individuals that cannot exit or enter the pool using a ladder
Rec Sports has a variety of indoor and outdoor sports equipment available for groups and individuals to use. Most equipment is available free of charge, while other items do have a rental charge. Patrons will be responsible for damages to items that are rented or checked out.
If you have questions regarding equipment usage at the Rec Center, please contact Equipment Etc. at 979-845-4917.
Rental ($1.00 each)
Items available for rent at the Rec Center ($1.00 each):
- Racquetball racquets
- Squash racquets
- Badminton racquets
Items available for free check-out (for use at the Rec Center only) include:
- Basketballs (men’s, women’s and outdoor)
- Volleyballs (indoor and outdoor)
- Indoor soccer balls
- Wallyball kits
- Table tennis paddles
Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental
Visit the Outdoor Adventures Rental Center or call 979-845-7035 for details and a price list.
Visitors are welcome to enjoy Rec Sports facilities by purchasing a guest pass.
- Valid photo ID (including driver’s license, passport, school ID, military ID) is required for any Guest Pass purchase for patrons 14 years old and above.
- Guest Passes are valid at all Rec Sports facilities.
- Guests are not eligible to purchase Locker Service or participate in Personal Training, Small Group Training, or Intramural Sports.
Patrons 18 Years and Older
Guest Passes can be purchased by anyone 18+ years of age with a valid photo ID.
Patrons 17 Years and Younger
Patrons under the age of 18 may purchase a Guest Pass, but they must be in the immediate vicinity of an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must either be a Rec Sports member or purchase a Guest Pass for themselves if they are going to utilize Rec Sports facilities.
Patrons under the age of 14 may only access the facilities during the Rec Sports Family Hours of operation.
Guest Pass Rates
- Single Day – $12 (valid from time of purchase until the closure of facilities that day)
- Three Day – $24
- Week – $48
- Month – $96
Complimentary Towel Service is included with all Guest Pass purchases.
Locker & Towel Service
Lockers in the Student Recreation Center include full, half, and box sizes and may be rented for the one, two, or three semesters. Any open lockers are made available for rental beginning during the designated time frame of the fall semester.
The Rec Center Member Services Desk accepts local checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Apple Pay, and Google Pay for payment.
The last date to renew lockers will typically be eight days after locker the expiration date. Expiration dates for lockers are as follows: Fall – December 1; Spring – May 1; Summer – August 1. Rec lockers that have not been renewed by the requested date will be cleared and rented to a new user. A $25.00 fee will be assessed to retrieve cleared items. Faculty/staff, spouses, and eligible dependents must purchase a Rec Membership in order to rent lockers in the Student Recreation Center.
- $90 for three semesters
- $70 for two semesters
- $40 for one semester
- $65 for three semesters
- $50 for two semesters
- $30 for one semester
- $35 for three semesters
- $25 for two semesters
- $15 for one semester
Full and half locker rentals include complementary towel service. For other customers, towel service can be purchased for the rates listed below.
Free lockers are located throughout the building for our patrons’ use.
Rec Sports operates a towel service at the Equipment Etc. desk that is available for Rec members and guests. Towel service is NOT included with membership; however, it is included with certain locker rentals and guest passes or may be purchased separately.
- $40 for three semesters
- $30 for two semesters
- $18 for one semester
- $2 for one day
- FREE with rental of a half or full-size locker
- FREE with purchase of a day, week, or month guest pass
Purchase of towel service entitles the patron to use ONE towel at a time; however, the patron may exchange a dirty towel for a clean towel. Both bath towels and sweat towels are available for use.
Lost & Found
The Department of Recreational Sports maintains the following policies regarding lost and found items:
- Rec Sports is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Members and guests are encouraged to store all personal belongings securely in lockers provided throughout the Rec Center.
- Rec Sports staff members are not permitted to hold equipment, valuables or bags for members.
- Found items should be turned in to the Member Services Desk.
- Equipment found in all Rec Sports facilities will be sent to Member Services at the Rec Center.
- Inquiries regarding items lost that day should be made at the specific location. On the following day, inquiries should be made at the Rec Center Member Services Desk or call 979-845-7826.
- Equipment not claimed at Member Services will be forwarded to MSC Lost and Found.