Outdoor Adventures & Rock Climbing
“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.” – John Muir
Outdoor Adventures at Texas A&M University provides the Texas A&M and B/CS community with access to the outdoors. We offer a wide range of trips and classes, a large selection of outdoor gear to rent, an indoor rock climbing facility, and other resources to get you in touch with the world around you.
Registration & General Information
Participants may register by phone, mail, fax or by stopping by Outdoor Adventures (located adjacent to the Penberthy Rec Sports Complex) in person. Activities have enrollment limits and fill up quickly.
Outdoor Adventures accepts cash, personal checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Two price rates are offered: currently-enrolled students and Rec Sports members pay a reduced rate, while non-members and the general public pay the regular rate.
Registration will not be accepted unless the following items are completed and turned in at the time of registration:
Payment plans are available for the larger expeditions. Participants registering for an extended trip (longer than a weekend) have the option of paying a down payment at the time of registration with the remaining balance due by the close of registration date.
Trip Information Sheets
Upon registering you will receive a detailed trip information sheet that includes pre-trip orientation meeting schedule, refund and cancellation information, location descriptions, a basic gear list and general information.
- Trips are open on a first-come, first-served basis
- Depending on the trip, participation is usually limited to 5 – 10 participants
- Minimum numbers will vary depending upon the trip (minimum number of participants is usually required for a trip or activity to “make”)
Trip Skill and Physical Exertion Levels
The majority of Outdoor Adventures activities are offered to beginning-level participants with no prior experience in the activity. If an activity requires prior experience and/or instruction and mastery of basic skills in order to participate, this information will be included in the specific activity description.
All Outdoor Adventures activities require a minimum level of physical exertion and fitness. Those activities requiring a higher degree of physical exertion and fitness and/or taking place in remote areas over an extended period of time will be detailed in the specific activity description.
Outdoor Adventures staff members come from all walks of life and have traveled locally, regionally, nationally as well as internationally. They have a genuine love for the outdoors, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, varied outdoor experiences, the ability to work with diverse groups of people, and a dedication to continued improvement of outdoor skills. Our trip guides are committed to making every outdoor adventure the best experience possible for each participant.
KINE 199 Rock Climbing days, KINE Canoeing trips, RPTS Paddle days, small group private climbing orientation classes, organization leadership retreat activities and more. Call today to book a date for your group! 979-845-4511.
KINE Rock Climbing Day
- Sept. 30 | Oct. 7 | Oct. 21 | Oct. 28
KINE Canoeing Day
- Oct. 14 | Oct. 15 | Oct. 16
KINE Kayaking Day
- Oct. 7
RPTS Paddling Day
- Sept. 17 | Sept. 18
RPTS 476 Wilderness First Aid
- Oct. 15 – 16
Outdoor Adventures News
See the OA Trips & Programs tab on this page or check out the Fall 2016 Rec Sports Guide for a complete schedule of events!
Need a Job?
If you’re looking for part-time, student employment and love the outdoors, check out our job openings on the employment page.
- OA Resource Desk: 979-845-4511
- OA Rental Center: 979-845-7035
- The Hub: 979-458-2820
OA Trips & Programs
We change our program offerings every semester, so we can offer something for everyone! Register for trips and classes at the Outdoor Adventures Resource Desk or online at recconnect.tamu.edu.
- Monday – Friday, 4pm & 7pm
- Saturday – Sunday, As Needed
Register By: 15 minutes prior
Cost: $6 for Rec members/$8.50 for non-members
Date: Any Day
Register By: Any Time
Cost (1 Session): $18 for Rec members/$22 for non-members
Cost (3 Sessions): $52 for Rec members/$65 for non-members
Date: Sept. 25: 1pm – 5pm
Register By: Sept. 22
Cost: $26 for Rec members/$31 for non-members
Date: Oct. 2: 1pm – 5pm
Register By: Sept. 29
Cost: $30 for Rec members/$36 for non-members
Date: Sept. 9: 4pm – 6pm
Register By: Sept. 6
Cost: $23 for Rec members/$27 for non-members
Date: Nov. 5: 9am – 1pm
Register By: Nov. 3
Cost: $26 for Rec members/$31 for non-members
Date: Nov. 13: 4pm – 6pm
Register By: Nov. 10
Cost: $23 for Rec members/$27 for non-members
Date: Oct. 22 – 23: 8am – 5pm
Register By: Oct. 19
Cost: $227 for Rec members/$273 for non-members
Date: Sept. 16 – 18
- Friday: 1pm – 5pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 8am – 5pm
Register By: Sept. 9
Cost: $150 for Rec members/$180 for non-members
Date: Tuesdays: 7pm
Register By: Sept. 16
Cost: $156 for Rec members/$187 for non-members
Date: Jan. 11 – 15
Register By: Jan. 4
Cost: $432 for Rec members/$518 for non-members
Fall 2016 Calendar of Events
First Friday Courteous Mass Ride 5:00 pm
First Friday Courteous Mass Ride @ to downtown Bryan from campus area
Aug 5 @ 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Coordinated by Bike 979 and College of Architecture’s Student Urban Planning Association, this ride begins in College Station and proceeds to Downtown Bryan. Ride leaders explain bike etiquette, the law for bike riders, and teach techniques to help every rider have a more enjoyable ride. See FB/tamuOA for dates and locations as they change. This[...]
Rent Outdoor Equipment
The Rental Center is where you want to come to rent the gear to get you outside and keep you comfortable.
- We offer a full line of camping gear including tents, sleeping bags and stuff to cook with. In addition, we rent outdoor sports equipment and watercraft including canoes, kayaks and stand up paddleboards.
- Equipment can be rented by anyone! Students, staff, faculty and the general public are welcomed.
- Renting equipment from us is much like renting a vehicle. Once you take possession of it, you are responsible for bringing it back clean and in good order.
- Any cleaning or damage incurred will result in a fee being assessed.
- You will be asked to sign a contract to take the equipment out.
- Please allow additional time, when you return your gear, to check it in with us. This will include setting up and inspecting tents.
Rental Center Info
- Rental Equipment Price List
- Refund Policy – The user must pay the total balance of the equipment rental upon reservation. The user must cancel equipment rental at least 48 hours prior to the checkout time or no rental fees paid will be refunded. No credit or refund will be issued for items rented but not used or for early return.
Indoor Climbing Facility (ICF)
What are you waiting on? Come and climb with us!
- The ICF is open 7 days a week during the regular semester (with the exception of holidays).
- If you know how to belay, you only need a skills check to get started.
- Skills checks are renewed each semester and are performed whenever the ICF is open for business.
- If you have never climbed before, you’ll need to sign up for one of our classes to get you started.
- Our orientation classes are taught at 6:30pm daily and need no prior sign up.
- If you don’t own your own equipment, you can rent ours.
- The Bouldering Wall is open any time the building is. You only need to drop by one of the desks in the Rec Center to sign a waiver and watch an informational video to get started.
- A complimentary wristband will be issued to you once you are cleared to boulder. Boulderers need to show this wristband while using the bouldering facility.
- Rules and regulations for the climbing facilities can be found here. (make this a link to the regulations page)
Prices for Climbing
Orientation Class & Skills Check
- Lead Climbing Check (in addition to skills check): $6 members; $8.50 non-members
- Skills Check:* $6 members; $8.50 non-members
- Orientation Class and Skills Check: $6 members; $8.50 non-members
*Skills checks require a patron to complete the following set without mistakes and prompting:
- wearing a harness
- basic climbing commands
- tying-in using figure 8 follow through know with an appropriate tail length
- belaying correctly using a tube-style friction device
- proper pad placement and spotting of a boulderer
One-Time Climb & Climbing Passes
- One-Time Climb: $5 members; $5 non-members
- Unlimited Climbing/Annual: $131 members; $154 non-members
- Unlimited Climbing/1 Semester: $43 members; $48 non-members
- Day Pass (not including gear): $6 members; $8.50 non-members
- Shoes Only: $3/day
- Harness Only: $3/day
- Belay Device Only: $1/day
- Chalk Bag Only: $1/day
- Gear Package (shoes, harness, belay, chalk bag): $6/day
- Unlimited Climbing Gear Rental Pass: $40
**All passes are good for one semester and expire approximately one week before the start of each new semester.
***No refunds on unused punch cards or passes.
Reserve the ICF
The ICF is available for reservation for private events including birthday parties, Girl and Boy Scout groups, Corp Units and student organizations. Contact Jason Kurten at email@example.com for more details.
Reserving the ICF is the perfect option for groups larger than 5 people that would like to climb together without becoming registered climbers. These private group sessions last from 2-1/2 to 3 hours and are normally set up when the wall is closed for business.
- Texas A&M Affiliated Groups: $15/person
- Non-affiliated Groups: $18/person
- Large Groups (25+ people): $175/hour (minimum 2 hours)
- 5 – 25 people: $50
- 25+ people: $100
ICF Reservation Form and Waiver
See the Forms tab on this page to download.
One-On-One Climbing Lessons
If one on one time with one of our instructors is something you desire, we can set that up. Simply check with the Outdoor Adventures Resource Desk personnel to get started. Our experienced staff can start you off from scratch or build on your existing climbing skill set.
- 1 Session (1.5 hours): $18 members; $22 non-members
- 3 Sessions (1.5 hours each): $52 members; $65 non-members
Youth Climber’s Club (YCC)
For a small monthly fee, we will allow a parent and child team to come in and use the ICF on a limited basis. Parents will be instructed on how to safely belay their child. Kids ages 14 and up will be allowed to belay for one another after receiving belay training. All gear rental is included in the price and if you have an extra child, or if the parent wants to climb, we can add that on.
YCC Climbing Times
- Tuesdays: 5pm – 10pm
- Saturdays & Sundays: 1pm – 6pm
- Monthly with Equipment: $80/month
- Climbing Parent Adds: $20/month
- Additional Child with Equipment: $64/month
Waivers & Forms
Each person who registers for a clinic, trip or event must have a Participant Waiver and Hold Harmless Form completed and filed with Outdoor Adventures. Forms are available at Outdoor Adventures, the climbing wall or downloaded from the links below. All participants under the age of 18 must have their parent or legal guardian fill out and sign their waivers. No one without a completed waiver will be allowed to participate.
Indoor Climbing Facility
- Climbing Wall Group Reservation Request
- Indoor Climbing Facility Rules and Regulations
- Indoor Climbing Facility Waiver Form
- Indoor Climbing Facility Waiver Form for Minors
Trips & Clinics
General Trip Information
Outdoor Adventures serves as an information resource on outdoor activities, locations and equipment.
Information is available on Texas parks and recreation areas, Texas rivers, lakes, rock climbing areas, hiking trails, fishing areas and a wide variety of activities such as backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and wilderness camping.
The Outdoor Adventures staff is available to answer questions and assist customers with personal trip planning. For additional information, please visit the following sites:
- Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife
For State Park information.
- The Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA)
For information on LCRA run parks in Central Texas.
- National Park Service
For information on National Parks.
- Leave No Trace
For information on the principles of responsible outdoor recreation.
- Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education
An organization developed by and for outdoor recreation professionals and students.
- Real-Time Data for Texas Streamflow
For current river information.