Rec Sports Policies
The following policies and procedures may not cover every situation or eventuality that may occur within the facility. Final interpretation of Student Recreation Center Policies and Procedures will be left to the discretion of the Facility Supervisor on duty or the Department of Recreational Sports Administration in order to maintain the safety and well-being of all customers.
Children age 14 to 17 are welcome to use the Rec Center with adult supervision any time the facility is open. Children under age 14 can only use the Rec Center during the posted Family Hours. All children under the age of 18 are subject to the following policies while using the Rec Center. Family Rec Hours are extended to normal operating hours during Texas A&M University published holidays, semester breaks and summer sessions.
Membership Fees & Cards
- Rec Member Dependents must register with Member Services for a Rec Dependent I.D. card. We will require a birth certificate and a processing fee for each Rec Dependent I.D.
- All non-registered dependents or other children who are guests must purchase the current guest pass per day.
- Children age 2 and under may enter the Rec Center at no charge, but must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times.
- Rec Members or adult sponsors must participate with or directly supervise and closely watch children at all times in all areas of the Rec Center.
- Supervision requirements for children under the age of 18 are a ratio of 1 adult Rec user per 5 minors.
- Children under age 14 may not enter the Weight and Fitness Room or use any cardiovascular machines located throughout the Rec Center at any time.
- Children under age 5 may not enter the spas or hot tubs at any time.
- Children age 14–17 may attend any daily fitness or water aerobics class, with a responsible adult's direct supervision and/or participation.
- Children under age 18 are not eligible to play Intramural sports.
- Children participating in scheduled, programmed activities (e.g. camps, lessons, parties, tournaments) may use the Rec Center during that activity only. These activities must be scheduled through the Department of Recreational Sports.
Outdoor Activity Pavilion
The Outdoor Pavilion area was designed to allow for group gatherings and picnics. Therefore, food and beverages are allowed in the pavilion area with the following guidelines and restrictions:
- No glass containers of any kind are allowed.
- Resealable plastic or canned soft drinks will be allowed under the pavilion ONLY!
- Organized groups wishing to utilize this area must inform a facility staff member of their intent and proceed directly to the outdoor area.
- All food and beverages transported to the area must be in proper containers to ensure it is not accidently spilled in other areas of the Rec Center.
- All coolers and bags are subject to search, to ensure compliance.
Lost & Found Policy
- The Rec Center is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Members are encouraged to store all personal belongings securely in lockers provided throughout the Rec Center.
- Staff members are not permitted to hold equipment, valuables or bags for members.
- Found items should be turned in at the Member Services Desk.
- Equipment found in all Rec Sports facilities will be sent to Member Services at the Rec Center.
- Inquiries regarding items lost that day should be made at the specific location. On the following day, inquires should be made at the Rec Center Member Services Desk.
- Equipment not claimed at Member Services will be forwarded to MSC Lost and Found.
- Any items found which appear to be of significant monetary value will be immediately dropped in a safe. Those items can be claimed at the Rec Center Member Services Desk.
Weight & Fitness Room Policies
- A towel is required for each patron to enter the Weight & Fitness Room. No sharing. Articles of clothing, etc. cannot be substituted for a towel. Patrons are required to bring a dry towel to wipe down strength training equipment, pads/upholstery, and cardiovascular machines after use.
- Closed toe athletic shoes are required to workout in the Weight & Fitness Room. Sperry type shoes, Vans, loafers, slip-ons, slides, sandals, boots or other hard-soled shoes are not allowed.
- Appropriate athletic attire must be worn to workout in the Weight & Fitness Room: i.e no jeans, khakis, or cargo type shorts may be worn. Shorts and pants cannot have metal buttons or rivets on them due to the potential damage to the equipment they may cause.
- No backpacks, gym bags, purses, helmets, rackets, skateboards, long boards, etc. are allowed in the Weight & Fitness Room. Free Digi-Lock day lockers are located outside the room and in other various locations around the Student Recreation Center for your convenience.
- Only beverages that are in plastic, re-sealable containers are allowed.
- Persons under the age of 14 years may not use the Weight & Fitness Room. A parent or guardian must accompany dependents from the ages of 14 to 17.
- Patrons should use extreme caution when lifting weights to avoid potential injury to themselves or others.
- Spotters are strongly recommended for all weight lifting exercises.
- Dumbbells, weight plates, and other equipment cannot be dropped to the floor. Strength & Conditioning staff members have the right to determine what is considered “dropping”. Due to the Weight and Fitness Room now being located on courts 1&2, THIS IS NOW A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY.
- All free weight equipment must be kept in the free weight area. All dumbbells must be kept in the dumbbell (grey tile) area. Rec Sports Personal Trainers do have the right to utilize dumbbells outside of the designated dumbbell area with their clients.
- Ground-based Olympic style lifting (i.e. power clean, snatch, and derivatives) and deadlift can only be done on the designated platform.
- Weights and bars of any kind cannot be leaned against the wall, pillars, equipment, or mirrors.
- Collars must be used on all bars when loaded with weight plates regardless of the total weight amount loaded onto the bar.
- Weight belts that may damage equipment upholstery must be removed or covered appropriately.
- To avoid congestion and waiting lines, patrons should allow others to “work in” between sets while using strength training equipment.
- All equipment must be returned to its proper location after use. All weight plates, dumbbells, handles, etc. must be re-racked in their appropriate location by patrons after they complete the exercise they are performing.
- Cardiovascular equipment is to be used by one individual for a maximum of 30 minutes. Some machines can be reserved at the Weight and Fitness Room Desk, however, individuals may only sign themselves up on this list.
- Profanity, excessively loud or suggestive language will not be tolerated.
- No audible or amplified music through personal devices is allowed in weight and fitness room.
- Only Department of Recreational Sports Personal Trainers are allowed to train clients in the Student Recreation Center. Individuals, who are not Rec Sports Personal Trainers, who are found to be personal training in any of the Department of Recreational Sports’ facilities will be banned from utilizing our facilities for a period of time to be determined based on the severity of the infraction.
- All equipment must remain in the Weight & Fitness Room. Only Rec Sports Personal Trainers and members of the Strength & Conditioning staff can take specific equipment outside of the Weight and Fitness Room for use.
- Strength & Conditioning staff members have the authority to request that any patron who violates any of our facility policies, including but not limited to, those documented above, leave the facility if the staff member deems it is necessary. This may also result in flagging of the patron’s account and consequently the patron being banned from utilizing our facilities for a period of time to be determined based on the severity of the infraction.
- Please direct all concerns and maintenance needs to a member of the Strength & Conditioning staff.
Indoor Climbing Facility Rules and Regulations
- Every person entering the climbing area MUST check in with the climbing facility staff and register for the day. Climber's hangtag must be visible to climbing staff at all times. Climbers without tags will be asked to either check-in or leave the facility.
- It is MANDATORY that climbers pass the safety check before engaging in any of the roped climbing.
- Climbers under 8 years of age must be able to fit into the climbing harnesses provided. Belayers must be at least 14 years of age and pass the skills check to receive approval to belay.
- The climbing facility is to be used only during listed hours and may be reserved for groups. For more
information, contact TAMU Outdoors at 845-4511.
- Climbers are required to use the ropes and belay anchors that are provided. Ropes for lead climbing
are provided upon request by the climbing facility staff.
- Belay devices must be attached to the harness of the belayer by means of a locking carabiner. You may use your own belay device if approved by the climbing facility staff. No figure 8's or GriGri's allowed for belaying.
- Figure 8 Follow Through knot with an appropriate tail must be tied directly into harness. Do not use belay loop or carabiner.
- Harnesses must be Doubled-Backed at the waist and leg loop buckles when worn by the climber and belayer while climbing on ropes.
- Always check, double check and triple check the climber'’s knot, harness and the belay system before each climb.
- Bouldering is permitted only to shoulder height. No soloing is permitted on the wall. Use the crash pad to protect bouldering landings as much as possible, but do not neglect to spot boulderers.
- Do not climb past top-roped anchors.
- Proper footwear is required on the climbing wall.
- No food or beverages are allowed on the safety deck surface.
- No cursing or loud offensive language is allowed.
- NO HORSEPLAY or ROUGH-HOUSING!!
- Only current Rock Wall staff are permitted to instruct at the Wall.
- No jewelry is allowed to be worn while climbing.
- No climbing on accessory cord.
- Climbing facility staff has the right to remove your day pass and recommend removal of climbing privileges for violation of these regulations.
- CLIMB AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Jogging Track Policy
- The jogging direction will be rotated daily. Please follow the posted direction.
- The two inside lanes are for walking and the two outside lanes for joggers.
- Faster joggers or walkers should move to the outside lanes (#2 walking and #4 jogging).
- Slower members should move to the inside lanes (#1 walking and #3 jogging).
- Stretching and observation are allowed in designated locations only.
- For all members safety, no loitering is allowed on the track surface.
- Rec users are not permitted to watch Olsen Field baseball games from the glass tunnel of the jogging track.
- All non-swimmers should use shallow water pools. (Instructional & Outdoor)
- There is no shallow water in the competitive pools. (50m and Dive Well)
- Diving is not permitted in the instructional or outdoor pools.
- All users must shower before entering any of the pools.
- People with open wounds or infectious diseases are not permitted in the pools.
- Gum and adhesive bandages are not allowed in the pool area.
- Training equipment must be used in the manner for which it was intended.
- Flotation devices are not allowed in these pools.
- Lap lanes are for lap swimming only.
- Swimmers should swim with others of their ability. All swimmers should circle swim when sharing a lane with others.
- All persons under age 18 must be accompanied and closely supervised by an adult (age 18 or over).
- Food is not permitted in any pool area.
- Appropriate swimwear required.
- Steet shoes are not permitted on pool decks.
- All users must shower before entering.
- Please enter and exit slowly and cautiously.
- People with heart disease, abnormal blood pressure or epilepsy should not use the hot tubs, as it may place themselves in physical danger.
- Pregnant women should not use the hot tubs.
- Children under five are not allowed to use the hot tubs and all other persons under age 18 must be accompanied and closely supervised by an adult (age 18 or over).
- Do not use the hot tubs while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Long exposure to hot tubs may result in nausea, dizziness or fainting.
- People with open wounds or infectious diseases are not permitted in the hot tubs.
- Use of body lotions, oils or suntan preparation is prohibited in the spa and hot tubs.
- Food or drink is not permitted in the spas or hot tubs.
- Failure to follow these rules may result in serious injury or death.
Food, Beverage & Tobacco Use Policy
- Food is allowed only in designated areas of the Rec Center.
- Food is not allowed in any activity area unless approved for a special function.
- No glass or metal containers are allowed in the Rec Center.
- Beverages in plastic containers with resealable caps are allowed.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed on the premises. (EXCEPTION: approved reservations for special
event rooms only)
- Consumption of alcohol, intoxication or the appearance/smell of intoxication, will result in immediate
removal from the Rec Center. (EXCEPTION: see rule #5 above)
- THE REC CENTER IS A TOBACCO-FREE FACILITY. Smoking or tobacco use in any form is prohibited.
Clothing & Footwear Policy
- For safety reasons, hats and jewelry should not be worn during any activity. Street clothing is not generally advised during activities as it can be dangerous and confining.
- Appropriate athletic attire, such as t-shirts, shorts, warm-up suits, sweat suits or aerobic clothing, is recommended at all times during recreation.
- Shirts and shoes are required except in locker rooms, pools and outdoor activity area. (Exception: shirts
& skins to identify teams)
- Appropriate athletic footwear is required in all activity areas.
- Footwear which marks floor surfaces or is worn inappropriately is not allowed.
Racquetball, Handball & Squash Court Reservations and Policies
- Racquetball, handball and squash court reservations can be made one day in advance beginning at 6:00 a.m. weekdays, 10:00 a.m. Saturdays and noon Sundays.
- All players MUST check-in at Equipment Etc. before going to a court.
- A waiting list will be established beginning on the hour at Equipment Etc. Courts not claimed will be given away at 10 minutes after the hour at the Equipment Etc. Desk. Please do not go directly to the courts.
- Protective eye wear is required and must be properly worn. Eye guards may be purchased at Equipment Etc.
- If any player is found not properly wearing eye guards, they will be given one verbal warning.
- Any subsequent infraction of the eye guard policy will result in cancellation of their reservation and the player will be asked to leave the facilities.
- Racquetball, squash and badminton racquets are rented for customer use.
- Other sports equipment, like basketballs, volleyballs and table tennis paddles, is checked out free of charge. All check-out equipment is for use in the Rec Center and Read facilities only.
- All check-out equipment (rentals & freebies) must be assigned to a Rec Member or guest on the computer inventory system. Valid member ID's must be presented at the time of check-out.
- Equipment designated for indoor use must stay indoors. Patrons wishing to play in the Backyard area should check out appropriate outdoor equipment.
- The equipment will be inspected upon return. If damages occur the Rec Member or guest will be responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing the item.
- The Rec Center is a place for exercise, fun and relaxation. Abusive, vulgar or degrading language will not be tolerated.
- Facilities and equipment should be used for their designed purpose.
- Dunking is permitted on the basketball courts. However, hanging on the rim damages equipment and is not allowed. The Rec Member or guest may be required to pay for repair or replacement of damaged equipment.
- Hitting of volleyballs or any other item, against the walls is not permitted.
- If damages occur to Rec Center equipment or facilities, the Rec Member or guest will be responsible for the cost of the repair.
- Any individual not following appropriate policies or behaviors will be asked to leave the facilities.
Bicycles, Skateboards & In-Line Skates Policy
Bicycles, skateboards and in-line skates are not allowed in the Rec Center. Bicycle racks are located outside of the facilities for bicycle parking.
Photography and Video Policy
Customers and guests of the Department of Recreational Sports acknowledge that photographs and video tapes may be taken during activities within our programs and facilities. By participating in our programs or entering our facilities, you allow that reproductions of these photographic materials may be used in promotional activities initiated by the Department of Rec Sports and Texas A&M University. Persons wishing to take pictures within the Rec Center will need to see the Marketing Director in room 202 for permission or call 845-1001 to receive a photo ID and entry into the facility.
All vehicles are required to display a valid TAMU parking permit when parked on University property, including the lots adjacent to the Rec Center. No permit is required in unrestricted or plain marked spaces on Saturday, Sunday, or days when the University is officially closed. Anyone with a currently valid permit can park in the PA 100 lots around the Rec Center and Reed Arena. However, parking is not allowed in the PA 105 staff lot until after 5:00 p.m. and on weekends. During the week, individuals without a parking permit should park in the West Campus Parking Garage located across from the Rec Center. Please call Transportation Services at 845-9700 for specific prices and restrictions.
Time Out Snack Bar and Deli
Enjoy a full meal or just a quick snack from the snack bar. For the health conscious, choose from a wide variety of fruits and other heart-smart items including fruit or yogurt smoothies. For additional information, please contact the Department of Dining Services at 845-3005 or visit their web site at http://diningservices.tamu.edu/.
ADA Compliant/Handicap Accessible Facilities
The Department of Recreational Sports is diligent in its efforts to make every part of a facility available to the community. If additional accommodations need to be made, please contact the Member Services Desk at 845-7826. The following accessibility features are available in Rec Sports facilities:
- Rec Center Indoor Climbing Facility:
- The Rock Wall is equipped with protective equipment and special haul apparatus that assists in ascent and descent. The entire Rock Wall area is wheelchair accessible. Please contact 845-4511 to access the facility.
- Weight & Fitness Room:
- Outdoor Pool: Ramp access for wheelchairs
- Instructional Pool: Ramp access for wheelchairs, warm water for therapy
- Dive Pool: Chair lift
- 50 meter Pool: Chair lift available